Thursday, February 18, 2010

Synanthesis

So, my resolution for today was to learn something new. I am very proud to share with you a sip from my fountainous knowledge.
I have discovered that if you cite the source of the knowledge that you've gained, it doesn't seem as admirable and incredible. So, if you simply state the knowledge such as: "I've always known this, and of course, I never read it somewhere, i'm just that smart..."

So, with that in mind, I have always known this piece of information, and be in awe at my uncanny ability of collecting random information. Synanthesis (I think that's how you spell it) is a condition where when a word, sound, or image triggers two senses in the brain instead of one.

For example. If someone said the word "Prayer", usually people hear the word, and that's it. For some people with Synanthesis (for each person, different words and images trigger different responses) but, when that word is spoken, they hear the word, and also taste bacon in their mouths. Somehow the brain attributes the word "prayer" with the sensation of taste, and that taste resembles bacon.

If I had it I would be saying "prayer" hundreds of times a day.

Don't I sound so smart when I say it all like that? Okay, and now to ruin my perceived awesomeness to you, I will cite my source. In speech class we watched a sample speech online, and the speech was about this certain condition. 2%-4% of everyone in the world has it. Weird, huh? That means you probably know a good 100 people with it and don't even know it.

Random trivia fun!

Okay, so I am on my 5 and 1/2 hour break that I have every Thursday, which means... It's time to watch Chuck online! Yay! I love Thursdays!

My resolution for tomorrow is to balance my checkbook, something that I probably haven't done since I last blogged about it, and yes, I blogged about it in early January, so it is long overdue.

No comments:

Post a Comment