Monday, February 15, 2010

random acts of kindness

I could not update last night because I watched The Office and part of the kung fu movie Ong Bak Thai Warrior.. and by the time both of them were finished, it was far too late for me to update my blog. So, this is for Sunday (yesterday).

My resolution for yesterday was to make someone's night. Last night was Valentine's Day. It was actually a fun time working last night, I was expecting it to be really slow and hard to work on Valentine's Day when I could be sitting at home eating chocolate and watching a chick flick feeling sorry for my singleness...

Last night I kind of forgot about my resolution, so I did not go out of my way just for the sake of fulfilling my resolution, but I did make someone's night. =)I did not realize until afterwards that it qualifies for my resolution, so I feel very happy inside. =)

To take a quote from the movie "You've Got Mail" (I adore that movie) Tom Hanks says in one of his letters to "Shopgirl" (online friends) "Do you ever feel that you've become the worst version of yourself? You were given an opportunity to do something right then you just shot it down 'Hello, it's Mr. Nasty.' "

I doubt that is the exact quote, I'm justing typing from memory, but I feel kind of like that. I used to go out of my way to do something nice for someone without any hope or expectation of a reward. Lately, I haven't even been looking for those opportunities to help out and be kind. So, I do in a sense feel like "Mr. Nasty".

Last night my manager's daughter was visiting Caribou (she usually comes in when my manager is working) and reads/does homework. When she decided to leave, she had to scrape off her car because it had been snowing quite heavily, and her car was icy. No one was coming in at the moment, and I saw that she was having trouble scraping it off her car. So, I went outside and cleared the snow for her. I felt so good inside afterwards, I wanted to do something good again.

My manager loved me for it, and a few customers saw me do it, so maybe I made other people's nights without knowing it.
But, the intention was not to make people think i'm so selfless or anything, but to simply show God's love through a simple act of kindness, and I think I accomplished that last night.

Is anybody reading my blog anymore? I have not recieved any comments in like 2 weeks. I feel like i'm sending the musings of my life into a giant void.

My resolution for the rest of the day is to write my book for 3 hours. I don't care how many pages, but I need to do it for 3 hours.
Happy belated Valentine's Day!

3 comments:

  1. I'm reading it!!! I check for an update every day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read it! Not every day, sometimes I read a few at a time. But I do!

    Speaking of kung fu movies... Have you seen that one with the thai guy that gets his elephant stolen and he goes after the dudes that stole it... And his type of kung fu... Every move breaks a bone. He breaks a lot of bones. a LOT of bones. Like.... a ton. I forget the name of the movie though. Maybe somethin like the guardian? *shrug*

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's with Tony Jaa, the same actor in Ong Bak, and that movie is amazing. I haven't seen the whole thing, but I have seen the fight sequences, and oh my gosh, he is incredible!!

    ReplyDelete