Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Mauy Thai Thighs

In Speech class we were supposed to do a persuasive speech. Most people selected topics like how TV is a bad influence for kids, illegal immigration is overrated, and some more mono-toned topics of the like.
I decided to do a topic that I would actually enjoy. Here was my Thesis statement: Spiderman is a better superhero than Superman.

Yes, I was comparing the two superheroes based on their powers, morals, and their real identity as Peter Parker/Clark Kent. Needless to say, the audience loved it, and I was passionate about it, and I think I bashed superman enough that now Kriptonite is not the only thing he's vulnerable to.

I barely got any sleep because of the monster of a storm we had last night; it was raining so hard my dreams involved the rain breaking down my wall and making my comforter soggy. Yeah, my subconscious is worried about a soggy blanket if the thunder storm tears down the house... at least i've got my priorities straight, right?

Last night I visited a Muay Thai martial arts center to see if i'd be interested in going there. It was a very interesting place. The instructors looked and acted like Baseball dads. They were not professional in the least, and they did not seem confident in what they were teaching. But, I got a great workout none-the-less.

The night felt like 3 hours, but incredibly, it was only 1 hour long.

We started out with 10 minutes of jump rope. If you've not done jump rope in a while, no, do not reach into the depths of your memory and picture the 7 year old you smiling and laughing while jumping rope on your driveway in the mid-summer breeze with lemonade on the steps for refreshmant. No. Within two minutes everyone is sweating. Withint five minutes, there is this annoying drip of sweat that won't fall off the tip of my nose, it just waits there lazily. Also, my rope was always getting tangled, so i'd constantly trip over it.

Then, we would take "breaks" within the ten minutes of jump rope to do sets of 10 pushups, 10 situps, and 10 air squats. Just to let you know, when I walked into the gym my thighs were already burning because I've been trying to work on my vertical so I can do aerial kicks. After I am drenched with sweat, we do some stretches, which I feel totally awesome because I can almost match the stretching abilities of both the instructor and the teenage cheerleader in the class. At least my attempts at the splits paid off for something, right?

Then I almost laughed out loud because I thought the instructor was joking when he said: "Okay, now everybody do 50 air squats with me!"

He wasn't joking.

I kept up and I was the only one in the class to keep pace with him. I feel pretty hardcore for being the only visitor, also having burning thighs entering the facility, and still doing better than the rest of them.

Then, the rest of the time was a series of drills on pads which left my shins red and itchy and I have a skinned right elbow. It was worth it, though. At one point I felt like i was going to throw up because there was an exercise which I think the total number of kicks completed was somewhere around 200 something. Yeah. It hurt.

So, I walk the halls of DCTC with burning thighs, red shins, and skinned elbow, but I know now some Mauy Thai strikes. I won't be joining the gym because it's a buttload of money for something that I can do on my stand-up bag in the basement and a jump rope. I don't think 120$ a month is worth that, do you?

My resolution for today is to get out of the writing block/wall i've hit in my book and find a way around it and get moving again. I've sort of reached a dead end and I have no idea where to go from there; i've been stumped for over a week now... I've got to figure this out today.

No comments:

Post a Comment