Tuesday, June 22, 2010

climbing and discipline

Today I went rock climbing.

At Lifetime fitness, depending on the location, they have huge indoor climbing structers. It was so fun!

I have been indoor rock climbing before, but it's been a long time. So, the first climb was pretty scary, especially when I decided to look down. I have a fear of heights, but for some reason, my love for adventure and adrenaline trumps my fear for heights and forces me to do things above twenty five feet.

Rapelling down after a climb was really fun. Maybe I pretended to be a secret agent rapelling down from an infiltrated building, maybe I didn't. All you need to know is that I enjoyed it immensley. My forearms hurt so badly, I can feel a slight burn on my laptop typing. My fingers hurt too. It makes me feel manly.

Working at the Bonfire has been going very well! I think everyone there likes me. After a busy father's day morning, a server came up to me and put something in my pocket saying that all the servers pitched in a little in thanks for my help to them throughout the day. First off, you must understand that at no time does a server tip a host, ever. So, that was an incredible guesture of their appreciation, and it made me feel loved and appreciated. Then, my manager told me he heard that I did awesome, so he said he "gave you a little something" in my folder in the back. I have yet to see what it is. =) I like it there.

I have been running lately. I've been doing 2 miles at a time. I've only timed it 3 times, and each try the time drops considerably. The first time was around 18 minutes (because I stopped and walked for like 5 minutes because I was so tired), the second time was around 16 minutes, and the third time was about 14:30 minutes. I have never been a dedicated runner, so I am not expecting to be able to run 2 miles in 10 minutes by the end of the summer, but 13 minutes flat would be nice. 2 six and a half minute miles in a row, that's good.

Lately, I have been noticing my incredible lack of self discipline. It bothers me. I want to be a driven person, but i'm just not. I hate setting goals for myself because I almost always go past them. To quote the movie Julie and Julia (amazing movie) "Deadlines, don't you love them? I love the sound they make as they go wooshing by!"

That's what I feel like, and I hate it. I have been trying to change that thing about me for a long time, but it never works. I know that there's books on how to get motivated... I might pick one up to add to my list of 8 other books. (I just bought The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo) Thanks, Helena, for blogging about it. It perked my curiosity, so I checked it out, read a bit, and loved it. So, I bought it and now my summer reading is even longer.

Anyways, so, any tips anyone may have, put them down for me to be able to have a better reign on my life. Examples of me being passive and apathetic include: watching TV shows online instead of writing my book, talking and hanging out with my family instead of reading, staying up wayy too late with the escuse of having nothing to do the following morning, only to wake up around 12:00pm, which makes me feel like a piece of crap.

Idealy, I want to go to bed at 12:00am and wake up at 8, or asleep at 11 and up at 7. But, to change it drastically is out of the question, because I am never tired by 11.

2 comments:

  1. Ben -- I'm so jealous that you can rock climb! Once I finally get my upper body into reasonable shape, I'll try the indoor wall at REI. But even with preparation I figure my arms will hurt big time afterwards. Eventually I want to climb/repel off buildings. We'll see.
    Isn't Lisbet in Dragon Tattoo incredible? Now there's a memorable character. I love seeing a female who comes out of abuse and a damaged childhood like a charging dragon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, gosh, the REI walls around here look crazy hard! But, i'd love to try that as well once my fingers/forearms feel normal again.
    I haven't started the book yet since I'm still in the middle of some of my other informative writing books. But, i'm looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete