Monday, May 3, 2010

homocide detectives

It takes more wisdom to heed advice than it does to give it.

My dad gave me advice recently. He said that my writing would considerably improve if I read Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code. The Da vinci code is one of the best selling books of all time. Over 80 million copies have been sold. That is a terrifying number. Dan Brown is renoun for his fast-paced writing style with short chapters and ruthless clinchers to keep the reader engrossed until the end.

The type of book that i'm writing needs the exact same style. I need fast paced action. So, yesterday I decided to leave for work early and drop by Barnes and Noble and pick up the book and read it for an hour to see how I liked it.

About to leave for Barnes and Noble, my mom stops me and notifies me that I need to return a book for her. She just got a book as a present, but she already had it, so she wanted me to return it for her. At first I consented, but a wave of realization came over me...

The title of the book? Overcoming Insecurity (for women).

Yes, that's right, it's a self help book for women. Oh my gosh. So, my mom was asking me to go up the register at Barnes and Noble, a male, and basically say: "Oh, I already have a copy of this book, so i'd like to return it".

Weirdo much?

My mom would not budge when I begged her to return it later in the week. So, I finally said yes. Standing in line I made sure that the book's cover was pressed tight against my leg so no one could see me carrying a women's self help book about overcoming their insecurities.

Getting to the register was stil awkward even though I explained it was for my mom as a present and she already had a copy. Oh well. I got a gift card out of the deal to buy a book that I wanted, so I bought Ted Dekker's book Burn.


What is it about a good mystery that intreages everyone? I cannot explain it. I need to figure out the case before the characters do. They're witty, quirky, and likable while solving a murder investigation. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I a confessing my addiction to Homocide Detective TV shows.

This is my guilty pleasure.

Actually, not so guilty. Just pleasure. I find nothing embarrassing about a good murder mystery.

I do, however, like pretty much every homocide detective TV show on the market right now. I only follow two of them consistently, but it's still embarrassing to confess how many of them I find entertaining.

NCIS LA, NCIS, CSI, CSI NY (I used to like CSI Miami, but the characters are boring so I stopped watching it) Castle, and Psych.

The two that I follow consistantly are Castle and Psych. They are extremely humorous and by far the most entertaining to watch. All thw NCIS's and CSI's are interesting, but get old quickly. I have watched select episodes here and there from them, but I love Castle and Psych.

I think I am going to put an investigation into my book. I have seen countless cases, and most of the time, I can call the killer and the means before anyone else can, and before the characters even suspect them. I like to think i'm a natural.

On another note, I re-injured a muscle in my leg. It's one that I pull all the time. If I ice it and take it easy for two days, I know I can kickbox abgain soon. We'l see.

1 comment:

  1. I'm addicted to a couple shows too, and the humor in them is so important to me. My own faves are Leverage and Chuck, and sometimes I catch Castle. But other times I like to watch nerdy shows on the Science and History channels.

    ReplyDelete