Saturday, September 11, 2010

and here it goes

College life is interesting to say the least. Where else can you eat at a buffet style commons area three meals a day, blast music and no one complaining, visit friends at 2am and learn so much that business will be like: "Woah" when they see my resume.

That's Taylor University for ya.

The guys on my wing (about 35 of them) are really nice, we went on a wing retreat to someone's house and hung out and bonded. It was a nice way to start off the semester.

Now, clases have started and have been going for a week. I've already read over 200 pages, completed 5 tests, written an essay, and plently of random assignments. They push us hard to say the least. I have about 4 hours at the very least of homework a day. But, hey, it's fun, and i'm learning a lot.

The "city" is soo small. But, i've already imprinted into my subconscious that I will not be going to any social establishments while i'm at college aside from the campus provided entertainments.

I already have a ton of friends, and we hang out like three times a day. Two of my friends already had a DTR (define the relationship) walk. Hahaha. I thought that was halaarriioouss. First week and they fell for each other. My roommate is goo-goo for a random girl. He's been hanging out and talking with her all the time. He's planning on getting her flowers.

I think i like my approach the best. I am simply being myself and making a ton of awesome friends without making relationships complicated by drama. I've been dubbed the "ladies man" of the entire floor of my dorm. Haha. I think that's halarious. But, all the girls I hang out with are almost all attracted to some other random freshman dudes, which I'm glad about or else it could get awkward.

I'm sick with a cold. I've gotten a lot better; already two girls invited me over for tea with them, one for a movie night, and one just to hang out and talk because I didn't feel well.

So, i've been busy. Between reading systematic theology and critical approaches to literature, studying for tests and writing reports, i've had plenty of time for a social life, and i've been getting a minimum of 7 hours of sleep a night.

I heard it said that there are 3 goals for a college student: Good grades/acedemia, social life, and sleep. And it is only possible to have two of the three goals at the same time. So far i've managed to have all three, but we'll see how long that lasts. The way my Spanish teacher has been pushing us, I think I may need to pull a few 4am nights memorizing abstract preterite verbs.

But, overall, college is fun. The people are amazing. I've gotten closer to God. I've been able to have amazing walks and talks with Him and just hang out by myself. I've been able to get some really close guy and girl friends. I am really looking forward to this semester.

1 comment:

  1. You're making me so nostalgic for my freshman year! Moving away from home and living in a dorm with strangers who quickly became friends - I miss that so much.

    But please, get off campus once in a while, if only to hang out in a funky coffee shop and write ideas for your novel in a beaten-up notebook. After all, that's the time-honored tradition for every writer.

    ReplyDelete